Thursday, June 26, 2014

Morning Runs and Summer Races

Short and sweet, a morning run usually lasts 30 minutes to an hour depending on the day and weather conditions. My dog, Penny, wakes me up at o'dark early, so our day begins with a sunrise walk along the Kennebec, and then I put on my running shoes. I step out the side door, stretch a bit, and run less than a block before turning toward the river. The running views are so different from the walking views! When I'm walking with Penny, I like to take pictures of the boats, the buoys and, of course, the wildflowers, but when I'm running the images soften and blur like a Monet. It's really difficult to snap a photo when your feet are in motion, so I try to breathe in the beauty and save it to my hard drive, my collection of happy thoughts!

For a runner, the route is all important. In Illinois, I run along flat roads, but in Bath I run up and down hills, serious inclines that slow you down and make you sweat. It isn't always pretty! To quote Jackson Brown (Yes, I did see him in concert in the 1970's!), when I'm "running on empty," I simply look out on the water and fill up with all that morning glory! The endorphins usually kick in as I reach Bath's City Hall at the top of Front Street and round the corner to approach Waterfront Park. The short stretch through the park is one of my favorite places along my five mile route. Perhaps that's because it comes early, and it's so peaceful there that time of day. There's rarely a tourist in sight, but I always have a chance to say hello to the groundskeeper, and we agree that it's a great day to be in Bath! From the park, I loop back to Front Street and pass by the Patten Free Library, which for me is a sweet spot in Bath. Across from the library stands the rather new Hampton Inn, which is super convenient for travelers heading north on Route 1. My warm-up is complete at this point, and the real miles begin. I run north now on Front Street until it intersects with Washington and Drummond at the top of an incline which requires a glance to my right, to the Kennebec, as I continue north on Washington up towards the dead end with no turn around for large trucks. This is the prettiest part of my morning run. The views keep getting better and better! In my mind's eye, I'm gathering the flowers at the side of the road and saving a picture of a red canoe, and a boat house, and a front porch at the bend in the road. It all seems like a warm slice of cinnamon coffee cake! Yesterday, I decided in a short breath that I would have to return to this stretch of road to take pictures. Later that day, around 4 o'clock, I returned with Penny and my camera to capture the river's smile. At 50 something, I've learned you cannot trust your brain to remember all the details clearly. Photographs really do help!

 Like most runners, I feel a day or two younger at the end of a long run. That feeling never ceases to amaze me. I don't feel "newer" like the Hampton Inn on Commercial Street; rather, I feel refreshed like the old houses on Washington Street that have been purchased by new owners! I have to give credit to Sam Armentrout, the seller's agent for our Maine house, for sharing her intuitive wisdom with us. When Sam greeted Joe and I at the Bath Farmers Market for the first time last summer, she said "Old houses love new owners!" As fate and Bath would have it, she was right. There are quite a few new home owners along Washington Street. I see them as I run by their gardens and driveways, and they are certainly busy planting, painting, repairing and refurbishing. You can feel the endorphins of active people in motion! In some ways, Bath reminds me of a busy beehive, and we can always use more sweet honey!

Joe and I are a couple of early birds. Over a month ago we registered for Bath's annual 5 Mile Road Race on the Fourth of July because the first 50 runners to sign up receive a free t-shirt. Last summer five family members proudly wore the numbers 37 through 41, and we triumphantly put those free t-shirts on after the race! This year my son, Mark, and his girlfriend, Lauren, will be joining us. Competitive by nature, we've all been training hard. Knowing that, I am fairly certain that I will be the last of our daring group to finish, but I hope to PR (set a personal record). After all, it's the hopefulness that counts. Truth be told, Bath keeps me hopeful!

P.S. Next Bath Time, I will let you know how the 5 Mile Road Race turns out for our merry band of runners. May our feet take flight!

     

No comments:

Post a Comment