Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Smiling Faces Add Sparkle to a Winter's Night

A few of my favorite places on Earth seem to sparkle more in winter than any other season of the year. I believe Bath is one of those places, and February is a wonderful Bath Time! Proof positive: Joe and I discovered Maine's Cool Little City last February, and we just celebrated our one year anniversary as Mainers at heart by attending a cocktail party at the Cosmopolitan Club on Saturday night. This Valentine fundraiser for the Cosmo Clubhouse not only affirmed our love for Bath, it presented us with a surprising and slightly ironic friendship.  Many years ago, when I was a young mom, I vowed never to attend a party without finding out in advance if I would know at least one other guest. Sadly, I am party shy because once I was a newcomer in an established neighborhood in Illinois, and I failed to connect with any of the ladies at a church event when I desperately needed to connect. The experience haunted me for a long time. But last Saturday night, the spirited beverages and the smiling guests at the Cosmopolitan Club eased my party phobia instantly. What followed is an example of pure irony, or maybe you could call it poetic justice!

It was snowing rather heavily in Bath when we arrived at the Clubhouse, so Joe dropped me off at the door before parking, and I entered alone. In so doing, I broke my first party rule because I did not know a single soul attending the party except Joe, who was not by my side when I opened the door. Even though I was greeted by a sea of strangers, all the faces were smiling and that encouraged me to buy ten raffle tickets and stay a while. I began to return a smile for a smile, and with unusual boldness I introduced myself to several club members as the online author of "Bath Time," a new blog which recently spotlighted the Cosmopolitan Club. To my surprise, several members of the club, including the president, Michelle Ober, had already read my love post supporting the Cosmo ladies and their zany, generous style of giving! I have to thank Elizabeth, our favorite innkeeper, for sharing "Bath Time" with the officers of the club before Joe and I showed up at their door. I suspect Elizabeth's introduction added some extra warmth to their welcome! Outside, it was definitely a cold, winter night, and the mounds of snow were growing taller by the hour, but inside the lights and the love were aglow and the crowd was beginning to make some joyful noise. Two very pretty bartenders from Byrnes' Irish Pub were mixing their signature cocktails, and Joe and I began to relax with the flow. Since good times demand pictures for Facebook, I tapped a stranger on the shoulder and asked if he would snap a photo of Joe and I. He said yes, and then we began to chat. Here comes the irony! Within minutes of taking our picture, our friendly photographer, Bill, asked us where we were from, and as fate and Bath would have it, he used to live in La Grange, Illinois, and so did we! But the "¡No me digas!" you've got to be kidding part came next. Bill used to live on Catherine in La Grange, and we had lived on that block, too! True, we did not live on that street in the same time period, but the party lights seemed to wink at the coincidence anyway! And there's more! Bill's wife came over to join us, and a few minutes later we discovered that Alaine, Joe and I all graduated from the College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, MA within a few years of each other. Suddenly, that old Bath magic turned strangers into schoolmates,  neighbors, and hopefully new friends.

Just when you think the world is going dark in winter, a little soiree on Washington Street puts the moon and the stars in the right place. Remember the ten raffle tickets? Well, Michelle Ober pulled a ticket with my name on it out of the big, glass jar, and I won an entire tray of gift certificates. Before the end of summer, I will spend lucky dollars at Tony Dance and Fitness Studio, InspireMe, Byrnes' Irish Pub, and Shore Shop Gifts of Isle au Haut. My good luck continued as I met Tracy, one of the dance instructors at the fitness studio, and Perian, a personal trainer from Inspire Me. Both ladies seemed to sparkle with health and well-being.  They also seemed like a lot of fun! All Saturday nights should be so lively. As Joe and I walked along the slippery road to our car, one of the bartenders reminded us to visit Byrnes' Irish Pub soon. She thought we would enjoy the karaoke! I laughed and bathed in the winter light.
 
 


P.S.
The Starlight Cafe at 15 Lambard Street is another bright spot in Bath, and it opens at 7 o'dark early. When Joe and I have to go on  a road trip, or set out for Logan Airport early in the morning, we stop at the cafe for coffee and a raspberry white chocolate scone on our way out of the city. Leaving Bath is never easy, but it's amazing what a raspberry white chocolate scone can do for an aching heart. A raspberry white chocolate scone can make Bath Time last just a little bit longer, and that's good!

1 comment:

  1. Hello, Irene! I really love your cleverly-named blog. Makes me homesick for Bath -- can hardly wait to get back there in a few weeks. So wish we could be there at the same time before summer! HMK

    ReplyDelete